Saturday, February 26, 2011

On a Whim Tequila-Lime Chicken


I was driving home from work today when I suddenly got the urge to practice being domestic. For some reason I have been craving the Tostitos Hint of Lime chips, and that is exactly where my inspiration to make tequila-cilantro-lime chicken came from. So I stopped by the grocery store to buy the needed ingredients (I was kind of hungry so I also bought broccoli, bananas, eggs, and of course, the hint of lime chips).

Not to be arrogant or anything, but one of the things I happen to have a slight talent in is cooking on a whim. This means I don't really use a cookbook or recipe. I just throw things that sound good together, and voila! Today, I'm writing this post soon enough to remember what I put in it (I've even remembered the measurements!)  I'm calling it "On a Whim Tequila-Lime Chicken."

Ingredients:

3 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp tequila
3 limes--juiced
1 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cracked black pepper
1/4 c. chopped cilantro
4 chicken breasts- skinned and boneless

Combine all of the ingredients except for the chicken as your marinade.
Take the chicken breasts (I cut mine in half because they were HUGE!) and trim off all the fat and blood veins. Next pound them down to about 1 - 3/4 in. thick--In reality this would have gone over well for me, however, at first I discovered we did not have a pounder. So used a rolling pin...Also, I never want to pound down chicken again. Those images will forever haunt me-- Once this is finished, place the chicken in a Ziploc bag, pour in the marinade and refrigerate for at least an hour. 1-3 hours for marinating is probably ideal.

After the chicken is finished marinating, saute the chicken in olive oil, 1 chopped yellow onion, salt and pepper until thoroughly cooked. This takes about 7 minutes.

I have also been obsessed with sour cream lately. So I thought that serving the chicken with cilantro-lime sour cream sounded delicious. I basically combined 1 Tbsp. of lime juice, chopped 1Tbsp. of cilantro and mixed it with 1 c. of sour cream. It is sensational, pairs perfectly with the chicken, and it's great with those hint of lime chips.





I'm very pleased with my meal. The chicken tasted delicious, and it was very flavorful! Also, the sour cream really did add a nice touch. Perfect! I think this "On a Whim Tequila-Lime Chicken" is about to become a regular in my mental cookbook.






**Editor's Note: In all honesty, this wasn't a huge moment of sheer genius. Many people that enjoy cooking could have guessed that tequila, cilantro, lime, and chicken pair well together. I just enjoyed writing about it and taking pictures ;)

1 comment: