Friday, February 4, 2011

It all began in 1920

As many of us well know, and are anticipating, Super Bowl Sunday is this weekend. I, myself, am very excited. This year Superbowl XLV features two great teams: Green Bay Packers vs. Pittsburgh Steelers
(Go Packers!).  Lately, I have been a little bit down on American culture because as this country is considered to an emulsification of other cultures, I am jealous of the traditions of other countries. However, good ole American football is definitely one thing I appreciate. You really can't go wrong with friends, food, and football!

 I joke with my Dad sometimes because I have 3 older brothers, but I'm the one that watches sports with him and texts him for the scores of different games. In fact, it's probably my older brothers' fault I like sports so much. When you show up to your first day of preschool with a plastic hand grenade tucked into a little red purse you have to know a girl's got older brothers and not very many pink toys(I did have Barbies). I also remember being upset that my brothers would not let me join their army platoon because I couldn't do pushups. This is probably also why I was motivated to do the 100 pushups challenge. So maybe it is really my brothers that I have to thank for the sports genes in me (that a few bruises). Those little anecdotes aside, some of my favorite sports teams include The Washington Redskins and the North Carolina Tarheels, though there are other teams I am partial to.

So in honor of sports and the most watched sporting event of the year...Here are some Super Bowl Fun Facts!

Professional football began in 1920 with the American Professional Football Association which later became the NFL in 1922

The Green Bay Packers are the only city-owned franchise

The Green Bay Packers won the first Super Bowl

The Pittsburgh Steelers coach Mike Tomlin is the youngest coach to lead a team to the Super Bowl twice

The Pittsburgh Steelers have won the most Super Bowls out of any other NFL team


Courtesy of my Facebook wall, here are some of the best menu items for Super Bowl Sunday:
Cheese
Nachos
Meat: meatballs, chicken wings, burgers
Chili
Chips and Dip
Beer
A Packers win

And thanks to my friend Corey, here is a really great link for many other Super Bowl menu items.
Have a happy Super Bowl!

No comments:

Post a Comment